Monday, February 25, 2013

Making a list, and checking it twice

We are in the final countdown. It is less than a week before we board a plane for Malta! And so begins the frantic last minute packing. Early in the project, I took responsibility for buying, managing, and packing tools. After 4 trips to Home Depot, 5 Amazon orders, 1 GoPro order, 1 trip to a dive shop, and 1 camera store expedition I think we are in pretty good shape...minus one more trip to Home Depot. The Cal Poly team now has a great set of tools to diagnose and solve the most common problems that we may run into.

Duct Tape Fixes Everything

During a trial run, on Saturday, a nob on the control box got stuck. Fortunately, I purchase the more expensive hex set a few weeks ago with Standard and SI sizes. With a little tinkering we had the control box up and running in a few minutes.


This week I plan to run through my list of tools with some of our veterans to see if there are any last things that might be handy.

In addition, the Harvey Mudd team has a toolbox. Dr. Wood took a trip down to LA this weekend to pick it up. Once I receive it I will merge and remove duplicates.
I have also been designated team photographer. I will be bringing my Nikon D300, a couple of zoom lenses, some extra batteries, and a flash. I am so excited to take pictures and am glad that it is part of my official duty, since I would have done so anyways. Yesterday I ordered a new 2 terabyte external hard drive to store all of these pictures (from the GoPros and D300). This means that I can keep every image that I take and worry about deleting when we return.

Finally, I have begun to make a list of personal items to pack and will start packing later this week. I am trying to keep my clothes and other items light since I will be bring a lot of other things with me (as seen above).

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment