Friday, February 1, 2013

Update on WebGL Data Visualization


Since my last post, I have been working on adding lighting to my program and fixing the incorrect texture coordinates. With the help of Ian, I have finally been able to fix the texture coordinates! My next task is to make the Cistern more user friendly and add more features (such as quick "top view" and "side view" buttons).

With lighting

Without lighting


Top view

Without water

Meeting up with the Harvey Mudd students was especially exciting. I enjoyed meeting everyone and being able to host one of the Harvey Mudd students, Josh, at my house. Everyone was at my house on Saturday night coding, working on the robots, and just getting to know each other. I am glad we were able to meet everyone before we go to Malta, I just wish they could be there for the full 4 weeks! It was very interesting to see what Ben and Allistair were doing with the ROS software, and they assisted me in getting it set up on my laptop so we can use the software while they are back at Harvey Mudd. We had a very exciting (and busy!) weekend, and it was nice to hear about everyone's different jobs for our project. I found Timmy Gambin's talk about underwater archaeological sites very interesting. I have never met an archaeologist before and it was interesting to hear all his stories about shipwrecks throughout the Mediterranean.

Being a part of a program like this has been an amazing experience already. I am looking forward to getting the most possible out of this program in knowledge and cultural experience in Malta. Going abroad is not something I initially thought was possible. As a previous Animal Science major, and now a cuurent Computer Science major, I am already behind in my classes. However, because of this program I am now able to not only experience a new and exciting culture, but also have the opportunity to meet and learn from other amazing people and professors. Combining engineering classes and an abroad experience is one of the best ideas I have ever heard of! We are now able to not only grow by being in a new culture, but also expand our knowledge and explore engineering interests that we didn't know we had previously (like robotics). I am so excited to go to Malta and I am thrilled to be able to go on this trip with all the ICEX members and staff. Everyone on the team is so supportive, willing to help each other out, invested in this program, and that really makes this experience one of a kind!

Learning about other cultures in our Global Engineering course has proven to be quite useful and eye-opening. We just began doing readings and learning about Sicily and Malta, and I am excited to start my personal research project about the history of Malta. We haven't picked our subject matter yet but I'm thinking of working with Amanda to create a teaching module and possibly trying to incorporate my data visualization of the cistern!

I am looking forward to learning more about graphics, global engineering, and robotics in the next 4 weeks, and then we will be off to explore Malta and the cisterns in person!

-Vanessa


No comments:

Post a Comment