Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Comparing cultures

The clear waters surrounding Ortigia
This is my second time in Europe after studying abroad in Spain, and it's the little things that catch my eye. Sicily, specifically Ortigia where we're staying, is a spectacular island in the Mediterranean.

I like how Italian, particularly the Sicilian dialect spoken here, resembles Spanish and I'm using this connection to interpret restaurant menus, and try to vaguely attempt to pronounce words correctly when I speak to the locals - taxi drivers, store owners, our colleagues at the University of Arcadia where we're doing outreach, etc. Other little interesting things - the Italian greeting of two kisses on each cheek (lean right then left) is the opposite of the Spanish greeting (left, right) and kebab/pita are the late night European fast food in both AndalucĂ­a and Sicily apparently. Also, my Italian art teacher (whom I met abroad) was correct - the food is terrific, and held to high standards here :) 
Delicious packed lunch from our
colleagues at the University of Arcadia

I will miss the fresh baked baguettes I can get everyday for less than a Euro too. Also, I can happily report that we went out and had gelato yesterday evening after dinner, which was a new, tasty and successful experience for Joshua!

Also, I had a great conversation with Timmy today about the immigrant population in southern Europe. Getting off the ferry yesterday we saw small wooden boats piled on shore, left to rot - these boats are results of the efforts of people from central Africa (Sudan and Somalia, mostly) trying to get into the European Union. They are kept in internment camps for the first year, at least, while their paperwork is processed, and if things check out, they may become part of the EU. I mostly see these people working as street vendors and other lower wage jobs - it reminds me of the Moroccan vendors I saw in Granada (another city with a strong Arabic cultural influence, like Malta and Sicily) and the American immigration policy towards immigrants from Mexico.
Timmy, our coordinator and guide, who is patient and
also full of facts about, well, everything!!!
I am curious about the attitude, and possible antagonism, towards these immigrants from native Italians. Living in Europe for a few months and sticking out like a sore thumb as an Asian American, the modern views and stereotypes of native Europeans towards the presence of minorities has been a big part of my own experiences. Compared to the acceptance and diversity of Los Angeles, well, it's not as simple as it seems. I look forward to more tidbits of wisdom from Timmy on this trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment