Saturday, December 29, 2012

Continuing our Harvey-Mudd Hellos


Hello everyone,

I'm Joshua Vasquez, a Harvey Mudd Junior Engineering major, and I'm thrilled to join this year's research excursion both to Sicily and Malta.  I too am new to ICEX, but I'm ready to fire away at a bold new robotics task!


I spent my last summer writing sensor drivers for small accelerometers and gyroscopes, and I integrated them into a ROS package for easy access through other ROS-integrated software (http://www.ros.org/wiki/bosch_drivers).

For this expedition, Lauren and I will be adding new temperature sensor hardware into the existing system, and we hope to cleanly integrate the logging hardware into the existing software framework. As I continue my research with ICEX, I hope both to nourish my understanding of embedded systems and to develop a healthy coding style for large-scale data-logging robot systems. I'm also jazzed at the chance to learn more about the mechanics of the SLAM algorithm.

For fun I enjoy hiking, biking, and electrical DIY projects. I've (alas!) spent far too long voiding my warranty for most electronics! From their remains, though, I enjoy making home-made (low-cost!) remote-control projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment